Saturday 27 November 2010

A Sleep Deprived Synopsis

Having made it through every ball of day two from the comfort of my bedroom, a very weary man sits before you. Last night’s method of making it through the cold, lonely night was a power nap during the lunch interval, but tonight, I’ve just put the kettle on and have decided to get writing.

Going back to yesterday’s action, Australia began brightly making it to lunch with relative ease. The only notable acts from the first session were an overturned referral saving the life of Simon Katich and a close shy at the stumps from England opener Alistair Cook. England did however make the breakthrough, dismissing Shane Watson to a simple catch from Strauss at first slip.

I’m not sure what lunch at The Gabba consists of but Andy Flower’s side came out after the break a different team. The ball had started to talk and England got back into the game, first dismissing Ponting to a knick down the leg-side, swiftly followed by Katich thanks to an outstanding caught and bowled at the hands of rookie Steve Finn. The wickets of Clarke and North later on in the session totally changed the balance of the match, and the visitors now looked at least equal in the contest.

The final session of the day was shortened due to unseasonal wet weather in Brisbane, but Mr Cricket Mike Hussey and keeper Brad Haddin successfully batted through the day to leave the hosts on 220-5 at stumps. This left the game finely balanced going into what would be a critical third day.

This leads us on to this morning and what can only be described as a frustrating session for Strauss and his bowlers. Despite strike bowler James Anderson bowling a handful of magical deliveries, decisions did not go the way of the Poms and false shots failed to create chances. Anderson’s annoyance was beginning to show as he was chuntering away to the Aussie batsmen in an almost Glenn McGrath like fashion. As the change bowlers got brought into the attack the ball seemed to stop playing tricks and the men at the crease began looking comfortable. Mike Hussey looked in fine knick moving onto 124 not out and Brad Haddin offering ample support taking himself to 79 not out.

I will apologise now for any spelling mistakes or poor grammar as the words on my laptop screen are beginning to merge together. Either the coffee hasn’t worked or I need to get myself to Specsavers in the morning! The Aussies are currently 69 runs ahead so England require quick wickets in order to remain in the contest. Maybe I could stay up for just one more hour...

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Scott, I for one hate cricket, but reading your blog makes me actually want to watch it! I think I am going mad and I don't know what's wrong with me... haha keep up the good work, its a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Buddy!! I'm pleased you are enjoying it! Just remember you were my inspiration!!! haha. If you ever feel the need to watch some of the Ashes you'll be more than welcome!

    ReplyDelete